Candidate statement for the IEEE Standards Association
Board of Governors (Member at Large)
If elected to the IEEE-SA Board of Governors, I will work hard to maintain and expand the IEEE’s position as the premier producer of global standards and other consensus products. I have done this successfully in the field of learning technology and continue to do this via contributions to the IEEE Future Directions Committee and to initiatives such as blockchains and symbiotic autonomous systems. I have standards governance experience, business and technical expertise, and a broad perspective gained from working internationally across academia, industry, and government. I strongly believe in the benefits of market-driven standardization in supporting the IEEE mission of advancing technology for humanity, and I will advocate for revenue models and organizational structures that support this mission. I will do my best to ensure that all IEEE member interests are well-represented on the IEEE-SA BOG and would be honored by your vote!
Qualifications. Technology innovator, researcher, and entrepreneur who has contributed to and held leadership positions in multiple standards organizations. See career highlights and publications list.
- IEEE Standards Committees:
- IEEE Standards Association’s Standards Board
- IEEE Future Directions Committee (FDC)
- IEEE Computer Society Standards Activities Board (Vice Chair)
- IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (Vice Chair, Former Chair)
- IEEE Industry Connections Committee (Member)
- IEEE Standards Review Committee (Member)
- IEEE New Standards Committee (Former Member)
- IEEE 7919 Working Group chair (Standards for Mobile Learning Platforms)
- IEEE Standards Technical Activities Board (TAB) FDC Liason
- IEEE-SA ad hoc on open source (Member)
- IEEE-ISTO Learning, Education, and Training Systems Interoperability Committee (Former Member)
- Industry: Co-founder and CEO of Eduworks Corporation, a company that applies AI and text analysis to improve human performance. Entrepreneur with experience in software development and product management, corporate leadership, and product strategy.
- Academia: Regular mathematics faculty (tenured) at Oregon State University (now courtesy faculty in the Business School), Alexander von Humboldt Fellow, Mathematical Sciences Research Institute Research Professor, academic administrator (unviersity education reform coordinator). Pioneer in undergraduate research, competency-based approaches to education, and online learning.
- Research: Made foundational contributions to the fields of semi-algebraic geometry and computational number theory. Continue to pursue research in learning technology within Eduworks and as a consultant. Led teams that applied machine learning, computational linguistics, and other leading edge technologies to improve training and education in academia and industry.
Recent Paper on Standardization – Provides Some of My Own Perpective on Learning Technology Standards and Standards in general.